Wednesday, December 04, 2002

Yes, I realize it's been quiet. Been in a period of deep thought. Am expecting Deep Thought to run for the next few million years, or a few more days, whichever happens to come first.

Still, since no one else is making posts, I feel obligated to talk to you, the public at least, if not about the deeper, inner existential meaning of life, I can talk to you at least about the everyday shit I'm doing and thinking.

So, what am I doing right now? I mean RIGHT NOW? I'm jamming out to some MP3s of this british band called The Music. They've been compared to Led Zepplin and the Stone Roses, and I can totally see that. They've got this great wall of guitar jam sound that I'm so fucking digging right now, I can't even tell you. And the drummer knows how to keep a beat going that you can grove to, and the bassist lays down a smooth layer right over that that I'm totally into. I know I sound like a fan boy, but this is the kind of music I'm into right now, I guess. It's rock'n'roll that I'd rather be driving to. You're probably asking why I'm listening to MP3s instead of the actual CD. Well, dumbass, I'm glad you asked! *sticks his tongue out* The Music's debut album is out in England now, but it's not out in the States until February. I'm gonna be in Berkeley tomorrow picking up comics (for the first time in over a month) and right next door to the comic shop is a great music store that carries a lot of imports, so I'll probably pick up an import copy of the album tomorrow and a domestic copy when it's out in February.

See, the funny part about this band is that I figured I was probably going to hate them. I first heard about them over at NME, and I've learned that either NME is dead on right or totally clueless. Sometimes I completely agree with them (yes, Idlewild is a fucking awesome band) and sometimes I think they couldn't be more wrong (I stand by the assertion that The Strokes are utter shit, no matter what NME, CMJ, Rolling Stone and every other music magazine around says). So I figured with all the hype they (and other people, like my usual trusted mag CMJ) were lauding on The Music, they were going to be either crap or fantastic. And since CMJ seemed to think they were great, I figured I could at least snag a few of the songs and give a listen and see what I thought. So I scored about half of the album in MP3 format, and after the first song (the Tantric ritual of a song called "The Dance") I knew I was hooked. These guys really are the real deal, grade A good musicians. I'm already hooked on this album. Supposedly they're gonna be touring here, so I'm gonna see if they're playing anywhere around here and catch'em live if I can.

The comic is coming along pretty well. Joe's done pencilling page two, Greg's finished inking page one, Erin's got a working prototype of the logo done and I'm trying to put together the proposal pieces one bit at a time. I can't wait to write the basic staff bios, as they should be a blast. That's always some of the most fun. I think we may have to get a studio picture while everyone's up here, too. I also think everyone in the studio should draw a charicature of someone else in the studio (yes even me, no art talent boy) and we should draw names from a hat or something. We'll see.

Beyond that and the things Deep Thought cannot comment on, life's running along pretty predictably. I won't say I'm doing poorly, because that would be a lie, but I won't tell you things are all hunky-dorey with me either, because that too would be lie. I'm doing acceptably, and if you want to worry, fine, you go ahead and do that. I won't stop you. You want to consider all well and good, you can go ahead and do that to. I'm me, and that's all I can tell you.

Anyhow, enough rambling. There is a Barrenhollow section coming tomorrow and it will be significantly long. I would've posted it today, but it ain't done yet.

Deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home