Saturday, October 12, 2002

You know, I love my weekends. Seriously, they're like the best parts of my life. I had so much fun yesterday! Erin, Sherrie and Christy (if that's misspelled, blame Erin! She told me how to spell it!) took me to go see "Deathtrap" after the first part of Erin's fencing lesson. The show wasn't bad (if a bit underplayed) and afterwards we went back to their place and Erin got another fencing lesson.

Speaking of stage fencing, she's picking it up very quickly. I'm quite impressed, as she's getting good at the basic faster than most people do. I could tell she was getting a little frustrated when she missed blocks, but she really didn't miss all that many. I'm more than a little impressed, actually. Usually I have problems with students who are missing a lot of blocks, but Erin seemed to have the basics down pretty well, so I tried giving her the random blocks and she was missing a few of them, but a lot less than the average student does, AND she was doing the random blocks about a week early or so. Thankfully, the more I practice, the faster it's all coming back to me as well. I was a little worried that being quite out of practice that I'd be screwing up a lot. I missed just a couple of swings, but not many. And my pivot strike came back to me like I'd been doing it daily for years. That was reassuring.

Just hanging out there was definitely a nice change of pace and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole gang when I'm down to teach Erin. I was a little worried that I might be odd man out among Erin's friends, but I got along with them all great. We went to the show and were running a few minutes late. We dropped Erin off and went looking for a parking space and got food. I've also determined that college towns are built on a template -- they're all inhabited by the same people doing the same things. Maybe there's just an alternate universe where everyone goes when they enter a college town -- and it's all the same. I saw some of the same folks doing the same things walking around downtown Santa Cruz. It was kinda funny. Lots of merriment was had.

Anyhow, gonna wrap it up. Still got a little cleaning left to do in my room in a little bit here and we're all turning in fairly early around the house so we can get up at a reasonable time tomorrow morning as Joe, Lara and I are going down to spend the day with Erin on her turf, which should be fun. We're bringing cameras galore and will probably take quite a few pictures. I'll see if I can get any of those pictures up for you guys to see -- I have a scanner here at the apartment now, but I can't seem to get my film scanner the last piece of equipment it needs. I'm still looking for it, but we'll see if I can track it down. There's also a film attachment for our flatbed scanner, but I can't seem to get that to work either and since Erin took the prints, I can't put one or two up for your viewing pleasure. I'll see what I can do about getting some kind of picture for you guys to see soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home