Friday, July 16, 2004

NOW PLAYING: Boiled In Lead - "Newry Highwayman (trad.)"

"In Newry Town I was bred and born / In Steven`s Green now I`ll die in scorn. / I served my time to the saddling trade / but I turned out to be, I turned out to be a roving blade. / At seventeen I took a wife / I loved her dearly as I love life / And for to keep both fine and gay / I took to robbing, I took to robbing on the King`s highway. / I never robbed any poor man yet / Nor any tradesman has cause to fret / I rob the lords and their ladies bright / I take their jewels, I take their jewels to my heart`s delight. / To Covent Garden I make my way / With my dear wife for to see the play / Lord Fielding`s corps they did me pursue / And I was taken, I was taken by that cursed crew. / My father cried, "Oh, my darling son" / My wife she wept and said, "I`m undone" / My mother tore her white locks and cried, / "`Twas in the cradle, `twas in the cradle that he should have died." / And when I`m dead and in my grave / A flashy funeral pray let me have / With six bold highwaymen to carry me / Give them good broadswords, good broadswords and liberty. / Six pretty maidens to bear my pall / Give them white ribbons and garlands all / For when I`m dead, aye they`ll speak the truth / He was a wild and a wicked youth. / In Newry Town I was bred and born / In Steven`s Green now I`ll die in scorn. / I served my time to the saddling trade / but I turned out to be, I turned out to be a roving blade..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home