Friday, August 29, 2003

Okay, inner geek confession time...

I've been a big fan of The Cure since high school. They were one of those bands that someone lent me a tape of and I rapidly found myself in tune with the step of the music. Disintegration is still probably my favorite album of theirs, right up there with Wish. Now, the problem was the last Cure album was released in February of 2000. I remember, because I wrote a review of it for The Daily Nebraskan. In fact, if you go digging through the archives you can probably find it. But at that time, Robert Smith (leader/founder of The Cure) said that he was done with the music biz. He was sick of 20something kids telling him how to make music. Of course, I tended not to give it too much weight at the time. If I had a nickel for everytime the Cure has "broken up," I could go out and get lunch. But then 2001 rolled around and there was virtually no word. A greatest hits album came out with a bonus disc of them playing EVERY SINGLE ONE of the greatest hits acoustically (which was the BEST promo thing I've ever gotten). They'd played a few concerts here and there, but it seemed like Robert Smith just might have been serious. 2002 rolled around and I was starting to forget about them. Well, I just hit their web page because I was updating my LaunchCast radio station and wanted to see if there was any news from them, and holy shit, there's been a lot! So, they did a couple of nights where they played three of their albums straight and that's been made into a DVD that's apparently out and for sale. Very cool. But here's what's really got my attention...

The Cure left Elektra/Sire (who was their label basically since the beginning) and are going to this little tiny outfit called iam records, where they have total and complete freedom. And on top of that they're going back into the studio to record a new album. The Cure are, in fact, still together, but telling the major labels to fuck off, that they're going to do it their way. And you know what? That's just fine with me. Go back to making music you want, guys, I'll keep listening and buying it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home