Sunday, September 15, 2002

We've been quiet, we understand. It's been an interesting weekend thusfar, from Erin and I having a wonderful lunch on Friday to Greg and Liz coming down that night to our day at the Ren Faire. There are so many stories to tell, I'm not even sure where I could and/or would begin. Greg and Liz just left this morning to go meet up with Liz's father and help him do some shopping, I believe. My memory of things early in the morning is generally not so clear, and I'm still a stage or two away from full consciousness. Joy, huh? It seems like about half of us got some kind of sunburn from our day at the Faire. I'm barely even red, but Liz was fairly sunburned, and Erin's back was looking pretty well roasted yesterday. Erin's roommate Sherrie looked like she was the most heavily burnt out of everyone.

The Faire itself was fun, but a little lackluster. Greg and Liz didn't seem to find much in the way of costumes, and while I had every intent on buying a blade of some kind, there were none to be had within reasonable prices. (There was an excellent wakazashi/katana combo, but they weren't sharp and they were asking $750 for the pair -- do I look like I'm made of money?) Erin got herself an excellent bottle/jug (think drunken boxing wine bottle) and is having a new scabbard made for her dagger. Greg, once again, had me carrying his claymore for half of the day. I, personally, must remember not to wear black to such events again. I don't think I was expecting there to be that much sunlight and unshaded areas.

After the Faire, we had dinner at Erin's house, and her mother is still an excellent cook. After dinner, the conversation wound through all sorts of things from dreams to sleep patterns to my legendary comrade Tristan, wherever he may be. But all things must come to a close and soon Greg, Liz and I were on our way back to my place. (I think I may start describing my place as "Cliff's Free Roof Over Your Head" -- it's not a bed and breakfast, because no one ever has breakfast here and half the time they don't even get a bed. Don't get me wrong, though, I love having company. I'd have people over every couple of days if it was up to me.) We watched "Singles" and then we all crashed to bed. (It's amazing how many fantastic movies nobody's seen...)

Today is Sunday and currently all is quiet. I may phone up Erin a little later and see if she needs any help moving stuff back down to her house at school, as I do so hate just sitting around the house when I have the option to be hanging out with friends, actually doing something.

A friend of mine recently asked me "What's up in your life, Cliff?" I had to respond "I honestly don't know... but I think I'm okay with that." I know I said I was going to talk a bit about me in an upcoming post, but for right now, I'm okay with the fact that I haven't. I have a LOT on my mind right now, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing any more. It's good to have things to think about, things to wonder about. Life is best when interesting, at least for me. I do have a lot of questions that are floating through my head on a daily basis, but none of you could answer them, and by even telling you what they were, I might be changing the way they could be playing out. It sounds cryptic, I realize, but I have a feeling that things'll work out, at least to some extent. Sure, maybe the world won't turn into a perfect place for me to be in, but I'm okay with that. I don't think I want perfection anyway. I realized that recently... perfection... it's boring. It's dull. It's a myth and a fantasy you can't ever hope to obtain. The reality, the down-to-earth realness of it all, highs and lows, peaks and valleys, ups and downs, all the mystery, all the chaos, all the joy, all of the confusion... that's all part of it. Some of the best parts, in fact. And the things that are real? They're far better than the things you can imagine.

Now that you're all lost in that paragraph of spiralling thought, I'm going to leave you now. Probably hop through a shower in a little bit here. Maybe read a little or watch some TV or something. I'll give Erin a call in a little bit and see if she needs a hand or just some company while she's carting stuff back and forth, although now that I think about it Sherrie's there, and I don't want to impose on roomie-time. What the hell, I'll give a ring and ask. Asking won't kill.

Sorry if I seem a little dazed in this writing. It's been a very ... well, for lack of another word as ambiguous and pleasing, interesting month or two for me. I knew when I came back to the Bay Area, I'd be starting another chapter of my life, but I didn't think it'd feel so radically different. ... I kinda like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home