Monday, September 09, 2002

Liz, if it makes you feel any better, most of us go through what you're going through right now. You wonder who your friends are and how much they care. Well, I can assure you if you vanished off the face of the earth, I'd be pissed off and depressed and I'd find out what happened. If you and Greg split up, I'd still keep in touch with you, Liz, because we are friends. Sure, we met through Greg, but we're still friends besides that. And if it makes you feel any better, a lot of the time when you, Greg and I starting hanging out, I felt like the third wheel. You remember how I kept asking "I'm not imposing, am I?"

It takes time to find your groove. Sometimes you find the groove very quickly. Within an hour of meeting Greg, he and I had a natural rhythm to our conversations, like we'd been friends for dozens of years. Other times, it can weeks, months, even years to find your rhythm with a person, no matter how much you enjoy their company. Joe and I became friends very slowly over the course of a few years. My sophomore year, he and I were light acquaintences. By my senior year, we were good friends. Now, he's my best friend. But that took time.

Hell, I still feel out of place from time to time. The social rules and boundaries, they get trickier as you get older. Remember when we were talking about photography at the party, and you mentioned how I never volunteered to take pictures of you? And I said I thought Greg would get upset? You then told me that I didn't really know Greg that well. And you're right, I have thousands of things to learn, millions. It's the same about Erin. It's the same about you. I learn a little more each time any of us hang out. The more time we spend, the closer we become friends.

If you're honestly bothered, go out and audition for some things. Try out for some local theater. Hell, try out for some non-local theater if you have to. You'll make new friends as your thrust into new enviroments. Sometimes those friends will become very important to you. Other times, they'll only be passing acquaintences. But you are a very cool person, Liz. You're funny and you have a giddy laugh that always makes me feel a little better.

Your existance is not meaningless. You are just finding your footing. You're in a new place with new people away from everything you were comfortable with. It's like starting over in some respects. Don't expect to feel like you're home right away. You need to take time to settle. Nothing in life worthwhile comes easy or quickly. Greg and I first started talking months before we actually met. But as long as something's important to you, you should never give it up. Never say you won't make it as an actress, or you might not. It's the confence and swagger that gives you the guts to do some things. There are some times when you need to put your neck out on the line. You'll get knicked from time to time. Sometimes you may even get a gash that'll hurt pretty bad. But it'll always heal back. The risks can be worth taking.

Sooner or later, you'll meet new friends and Greg will just be "Liz's boyfriend who does some comic strip or something." And some of those people will probably never be interested in what Greg's doing. Everyone has their own circles of friends. Some people have lots of friends. Others have only a small select few. It's all up to you, really, but you'll be okay. You are going to make it as an actress, you just can't give up hope, that's the important part. Believe me, hope will kick you in the stomach over and over and over again, but it will always help you back up. And just when you think your life is a total collapse, all the good things will start shining through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home