Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Cliff's right. I am gonna post my thoughts. But since we already know that each of us differ in opinion, we're not gonna offend one another, so it's all well and good. :)

I think the recall was something that was really necessary for the state, if not the nation. Personally, I feel that for too long our elected officials have felt so secure in their offices that they forget what they were supposed to be doing in the first place. These people push and push to get into office, and once they're safe and sound in office, their job performance goes to shit.

Gray Davis is a perfect example of this. I can't speak about when he was first elected to office much, as I was 17 at the time (though I do remember him saying a lot about what he WASN'T going to do, as opposed to what he WAS going to do). However, last November, Davis initiated some pretty dirty tricks, and illustrated my point about empty promises. He talks about the budget like it's no big deal, and only he can handle it, and then, right after he gets elected (through what can be called a sham of an election, thanks to our choices), he starts telling the truth about the budget, and it's clear he doesn't have it under control. This is just one example of his career. I could go on.

The problem I have with it is this. When you hire an employee, you do so because it is understood that they will do their job to the best of their capability. If that person does not perform his job adequately, he is fired, or put on probation, or what have you. They don't just sit in their office all day and laugh at you (the boss) while you are required to pay them and keep them on staff. An elected official is chosen by us to do the job of their office, and if they don't perform their job adequately, they have to be held responsible. I heard an interview with an elected official right after the recall was slated to go ahead (sorry, can't remember who it was. I have a bad memory) who said "this recall sends a bad message to elected officials, saying 'watch your backs', and telling them they have to be held accountable for their actions." Well, no freaking shit, Sherlock! Welcome to the way our world works! You do something bad, you get the repercussions of it! Gee, how terrible!

Frankly, Gray Davis wasn't doing his job, and he's put this state deeper and deeper into shit, and the only solution is to kick the bum out of office and get someone else in there. Is there any guarantee that who goes into office is going to solve the problems? No. But Gray Davis has been in office for 5 years, and has done nothing to solve the out of control spending plaguing our state. He's worked against businesses by making it difficult for small business to succeed. And for crying out fucking loud, he signed a bill giving driver's licenses to ILLEGAL FUCKING IMMIGRANTS. And don't try to pull that "do you want unlicensed drivers on our roads?" bullshit. The problem isn't that they're driving without licenses, the problem is that they're ON OUR ROADS. I'm sick and fucking tired of this bullshit saying opponents of SB-60 are racist, and against immigrants. I love immigrants. That's what this nation is all about. It's the illegal fuckers that piss me off.

In short, something needed to give. Davis wasn't getting the job done, and it has to do with a basic personality deficiency. He doesn't have what it takes to govern California.

And as for Arnold becoming our governor, I know there are a lot of jokes to be made, but I think of all the people running, he really is the best person for the job. I consider myself a Republican, you can probably guess that. However, I'm not a conservative. Tom McClintock is a very right-wing conservative republican, and that's not what we need. I don't agree with a lot of the issues conservatives hold near and dear. I don't care about abortion. I don't think church should have anything to do with government. I am a thinking individual. Bustamante seemed to have a very thin veil over his intentions. He campaigned almost solely to hispanics. That's not any way to be a representative for a party that champions fighting racism. When I hear chants such as "No on Recall, Si Bustamante", I start to cringe. I understand a large percentage of people in California and other states speak only Spanish, but god dammit, this is not Quebec. I was pissed off at the bilingual ballot, because it made me do a double take every time i wanted to make a selection. Our street signs are in English. Our television is in English. God damn it, pick a fucking language and stick with it.

Ah, right... I was talking about Arnold. The guy's running as a Republican, but he seems to me to be much more of a moderate, nay, an independent. The fact that so many people supported him is indicative of this fact. Why else would so many democrats vote for a republican candidate? He's not a dumb guy like everyone makes him out to be. Most people probably get the impression that I'm a dumbass, but that's because I'm not usually in a position where intelligence is inferred. Arnold has been typecast in movies as a dumb strong man, but I think if given the chance in elected office, it's going to give him a chance to show what he can do. Have faith in the man.

Alright. I'm done. I promise. :) *takes another swig of Geikkekan before bed*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home