Tuesday, February 10, 2009

So the show was overall pretty good. Slim's is a nice place to see shows, on the whole, although I'm not as fond of it as I am The Fillmore. To be honest, Slim's reminds me a bit of an old Omaha concert staple that's not there anymore called Ranch Bowl.

There were four bands, and I knew one of them, This Is Hell, I had absolutely no desire to see, so I got to the show "fashionably late" and missed This Is Hell entirely. (Which is good. Their vocalist just barks and growls, and it feels anti-melodic.) The second band on stage was a group called Emarosa, who I liked. (I ran into the lead singer after the show, actually, and told him I digged their set.) Their singer actually has a hell of a set of pipes on him (I'm told he's new with the band, actually, only having been with them since their last album - he used to be the LV for a band called Dance Gavin Dance.) The band after them was The Sleeping, who apparently were on Guitar Hero III. They were okay, but didn't really spark anything in me. The apparently had a good bunch of fans, though, as there were people singing up front, getting them to play a song that wasn't on their set list.

The band I went to see, Funeral For A Friend, put on a good set, although the lead singer seemed a little disappointed that the crowd wasn't more packed in. I feel like FfaF have been losing a little bit of their audience since their massively well received debut album "Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation," which is a shame, because they keep putting out great records. "Memory and Humanity," the most recent one, isn't their best, but still has a lot of good songs on it. They wrapped their set up with "Escape Artists Never Die," which has always been my personal favorite song of theirs. (It was also, I think, their biggest single.) No encore, which was sad, but it was a Sunday night, and the joint wasn't as packed as it could be.

So, on the whole, not the best show I've seen, but I'm glad I went in the long run.

Anyhow, Lewis Black on the 21st in Monterey, and Josh Ritter (with a string quartet!) up in the city n the 26th. The more entertaining ones are next month, though, where I've got Jimmy Eat World and Primal Scream lined up, plus, The Killers in April.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home