Monday, November 06, 2006

People keep asking, so I'll tell you.

One week from today will be my first day as Community Manager at IMVU. It was a decision I thought long and hard about before reaching a conclusion. I wanted to give it my full consideration and took almost a week to decide, because it means moving away from my first love, which is writing. But as Erin, Christy, Elaine and pretty much everyone else pointed out, I wasn't doing any writing at Gamespot -- I was Customer Support, and what little writing I had gotten, I'd had to fight for tooth and nail. Plus, let's be honest, IMVU's in Palo Alto, giving me back a full two hours a day, and the money there is a lot better than it was at CNet.

IMVU's a relatively small company, meaning I'm going to actually have a stake in things instead of just being a cog in a machine. I'm going to have the ability to actually change things. I'm going to be contributing and designing and conceiving and putting things to use. When I first went in to IMVU, I got a decent enough impression, but to be honest, I'm not sure how much I was considering the job. The second time around, however, when I found out that what I wanted in terms of salary wasn't out of the question, I started asking a lot more questions... and they had answers, which is good.

Next Monday I'll go to work for a new company for the first time in almost two years. I know a lot of people think I "hop" companies a lot, but mostly that's not by design. I'm searching for a place to call home, where I'm getting paid well, doing good things, not bored, not frustrated with management and not continually slamming my head against a wall because I'm not growing as an employee. (Or, y'know, not getting laid off because of downsizing, cutbacks or studio closures.)

It's an exciting opportunity and I'm genuinely looking forward to getting to work next Monday. But for this week, I'm on well-earned vacation, staying up late, sleeping in, playing games and working on writing. It's my kick-back week, and I'm glad I took it.

So yeah, that's the scoop, that's what's going on, and if you want to know more, just ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home